Friday, October 15, 2010

McMillan Sand Filtration Planning Meeting

  This Saturday there will be a panel introduction meeting of the design team that is in charge of the final design plan for the McMillian Sand Filtration Site.   This is the first of a three part series discussing the project, and will give the neighborhood a chance to voice their comments and concerns, and gain a better understanding of the project's scope.  The development of the site has been a point of contention among many groups, so the meeting should be action packed!

Meeting Details:
Date: Saturday, October 16, 2010
Time: 10:00 AM
Where: St. Martin`s Church
1908 North Capitol Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Attendees:
The Deputy Mayor for Planning & Economic Development
Ward 5 Council-member Harry  Thomas, Jr.
Vision - McMillan Partners Design Team

  If you are planning on attending the meeting here is a brief history of the facility.  The McMillan Sand Filtration site is a 25 acre decommissioned water treatment plant located at the intersection of N. Capitol and Michigan Ave, adjacent to the Washington Medical Center.  The complex dates back to1905 when it's completion signaled a milestone in DC public health  through the use of  sand, rather than chemicals, to eliminate communicable diseases.  The original design of the site was dual use, also serving the city as a walking pedestrian park.  Two paved courts lined by regulator houses, tower-like sand bins, sand washers and the gated entrances to the underground filter cells provided a promenade for citizens enjoying the parks unique beauty.  The complex served the city until 1986, and then in 1987 the District of Columbia purchased the site for $9.3M in order to develop the sight.  In 1991, the D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board designated McMillan Park a Historic Landmark.
"The site has been described as an imaginative combination of landscaped park, with promenades, sculpture, curving carriage drives, careful grading and the placement of trees planned and personally supervised by Olmsted. The heirs of Senator McMillan personally financed the landscaping. Crowning the park was a pink granite fountain, designed by Adams and Platt and dedicated in 1913 as a memorial to Senator McMillan. Featuring three nymphs representing faith, hope and charity, the monument was funded by contributions from every Michigan county. The fountain has since been removed."**
Also, here is a youtube video we found from BloomingdaleNow regarding the site.


**Wikipedia

No comments: